Sunday, March 29, 2009

darn these things .....

This oven/burner thing here is called ...... a "range". Who knows these things anyway?

This past Thursday I went to Ranch 99 to buy grocery stuff to do some cooking, bought chicken bones for soup, bought dumplings, bought 白菜 to cook.

I went back home, turned the oven on to pre-heat, and put a pot full of water to boil - yes that very pot in that picture. Then I go prepare the beef slices to put in the oven, crack some eggs to make an omelette (the stupid spell checker is suggesting that I spell it as omelet, who spells it like that? American people?), etc. I was happily doing that and suddenly I noticed that the oven/stove/burner thingy was dead. Lifeless. I panicked. Already cooked the rice.

What do I do? I grope around the oven/stove/burner thingy looking for a switch or anything, could not find any. Tak guna! It was late and I did not want to go out to look for food.

Anyway, what would we do with out the internet? I looked up burner thingys which go off in the middle of cooking. First response was to find the circuit breaker. Why didn't I think of that?

So I look at the circuit breaker, the switches were labeled. I looked for an oven/burner/thingy .... could not find it. To be fair, there was a pair of switches in the tripped position, which looking back, I should have reset.


So I go back to the internet, go to the GE page and look for product help, since that thing is was their product. What do I find? I see under cooking products, this oven/burner/stove thing is called a "free-standing range". Who thought of that.


Anyway, it all made sense after that, and I saw that the circuit breaker for the range was tripped. I reset it and it was ready to go. All that took an hour or more.

By then I had already kept my raw food in the fridge and eaten bread.

Anyway, I continued with the chicken soup. It was good.

Darn those ranges.

No comments:

Followers